Thursday, September 13, 2012

Zinc and Cracked, Chapped, Bleeding Lips



For the past few months I had been having some mystery symptoms - weakness, dizziness and constant fatigue, I was craving chicken like you wouldn't believe! I thought I had low iron but a barrage of blood test for everything from kidney function to thyroid function to a total blood count showed this to be untrue, everything was within the normal range. The doctor wanted to send me for all sorts of tests, however I was sure I was simply missing something in my diet. After a lot of research I decided to try some magnesium supplements. Instead I came across Bio-Zinc which had more magnesium in it as the bottle of straight magnesium supplements.

Three weeks ago I started taking Blackmores Bio-Zinc which contains:
Zinc: 125mg
Magnesium Phosphate: 122mg
Manganese: 20mg
Vitamin A: 2500IU
Vitamin B6: 50mg

In the first week I didn't really notice a difference, but the second week something amazing happened. My skin began to glow! Now, I have always had very dull, thin, dry skin, and in just a couple of weeks the vitamins had turned all of this around for me. Even my nail cuticles were smooth, this has never been the case for my fingers. I have always had hang nails and peeling skin around my nails, but this wasn't the best part. I have had very dry lips my WHOLE life, one of my first memories was as a three year old. My lips had cracked and I was screaming because I had laughed, all of a sudden they were bleeding and sore. This was the start of a never ending battle with dry, chapped lips. I had to have paw paw ointment or lip balms wherever I went and although they helped they never seemed to completely alleviate the problems I was having with my lips, they would still be scaly and as a result I had developed a severe lip picking habit.

As a teenager I went to a doctor to see if he knew what could possibly be happening and what could be done to make this terrible affliction disappear. He drew a blank and told me to simply continue with the lip balms. I couldn't wear lipsticks as it would come off the scales within five minutes, seep into the cracks, look uneven and just plain revolting. I became sensitive to lipsticks after while and I suspect this was because the chemicals in lipstick broke into the skin barrier resulting in the sensitivity. My lips would develop painful ulcers the day after I applied the lipstick and they would stay for up to two weeks.

Three weeks ago I had cracked lips, as of a week ago they have become as smooth as a babies bottom, it is a miracle! I still have scarring but they feel so good now, I have no more scaling to pick at which is strange for me as this had become a life long habit. The last week I have run my thumb nail across my bottom lip but there has been nothing there to grab at.

I still have the mystery symptoms but I am now trialing Vitamin D3. I will keep you posted on how the Vitamin D3 trial goes. So far I have been taking the vitamin D3 supplements for 2 days and my strength is already coming back.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you eventually tried B12 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do zinc supplements actually reverse dry cracked chapped lips? My lips have been chronically chapped for years despite mousturizing them with vaseline, aquaphor, lanolin, and lip balm for 4 years. Dermatologists have been very neglectful, negligent, and incompetent on my concerns regarding the chronic chapping and dryness of my lips and only recommend vaseline. These dermatologists are extremely lazy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes if you have chapped / cracked lips you missing zinc Vaseline will not help you take zinc supplement It will do miracle to your lips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you continue with the zinc and did it keep helping?

    ReplyDelete